Over time, black mold exposure can cause significant health issues to adults, children, and pets. Kids and pets are especially susceptible to health problems related to mold exposure, so be sure to learn how to prevent mold and what to do if you find mold in your home. Here’s some useful information you ought to know in case your family experiences a mold problem:
- How does black mold affect kids?
Black mold can influence the health of children through inhalation, ingestion, or absorption through the skin or eyes of mold spores. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), indoor black mold exposure is related to respiratory disease in otherwise healthy children. Also, black mold exposure can result in the development of asthma in some children, particularly those who are genetically vulnerable to asthma development.
- What are the signs of black mold exposure in kids?
Children that are allergic to mold may show symptoms like sneezing, runny noses, itchy eyes, coughing, and wheezing. Black mold exposure may also cause irritant reactions in sensitive kids, such as skin irritations, eye irritations, or headaches. Those who suffer from asthma may reveal asthmatic symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.
- Which type of doctor should I find concerning mold exposure?
The CDC recommends that you need to consult a family or standard health care provider which will refer you to a specialist if needed. The type of specialist depends on the health problem. Allergists treat patients with mold allergies, and infectious disease physicians treat mold infections, and sinus doctors treat lung ailments.
- How can black mold impact pets?
When experiencing long-term mold exposure, pets can display symptoms like respiratory difficulties, pulmonary hemorrhage, nose bleeds, runny noses, lethargy, and more. Be certain that you keep your pet away from moldy food and environments. Take your pet to the vet promptly should they reveal mold exposure symptoms.
- Where could black mold be located in houses?
Black mold thrives in hot and moist environments, like basements, kitchens, and bathrooms. To avoid mold problems in your house, make certain there are no leaks which cause water damage. Use fans and dehumidifiers to keep the humidity in your house between 40% and 50%. Learn more mold prevention hints here.
- How do I deal with a mold problem in my property?
If the mold issue is big in scale (the affected area is larger than 10 square feet), then it is very important to seek the services of a professional to eliminate the mold. They can eliminate the mold quickly and efficiently using specialized equipment and processes. For a small mold infestation, you can look at removing it yourself by simply following these tips.
To learn more about how to deal with small scale mold problems in your home, check out our tips to remove mold in the bathroom, basement, and kitchen, as well as from unexpected areas in the home. For skilled fire, water, and mold restoration services, contact your regional PuroClean of Shreveport office.